The Indian Navy has strategically chosen Telangana as the location for its second Very Low Frequency (VLF) communication transmission station in the country. This significant development is set to take place in the Vikarabad district, with the new VLF center scheduled for completion by 2027.
Importance of VLF Communication
VLF communication is crucial for the Navy to maintain effective communication with ships and submarines, emphasizing the strategic role of the new transmission station.
Location and Details
The selected site for the VLF center is the Damagudem forest area near Puduru in the Vikarabad mandal. This location was chosen after the Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam identified Telangana as a suitable area for the establishment of a second radar station.
The INS Kattabomman Radar Station in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, served as the pioneering VLF communication transmission station and has been operational since 1990.
Challenges and Resolution
Despite the Navy’s engagement with the Telangana Government since 2010 and obtaining necessary environmental permits, the land allotment process faced obstacles. Chief Minister A Revanth Reddy’s initiative successfully cleared hurdles, leading to the agreement for the transfer of 1,174 hectares of Damagudem Reserve Forest land to the Navy.
- The naval unit to be stationed in Vikarabad comprises approximately 600 Naval personnel and civilians.
- The township associated with the unit is home to 2,500 to 3,000 residents.
- Comprehensive measures will be implemented to preserve biodiversity and ecological balance in the region, including extensive planting initiatives.
- As part of the project, a 27 km road will be constructed around Damagundam Reserve Forest.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams
- Indian Navy plans second VLF station in Telangana’s Vikarabad district for maritime communication.
- Scheduled for completion by 2027, the station aids communication with ships and submarines.
- Damagudem forest area near Puduru selected as the site for the VLF center.
Important Questions Related to Exams
- In which district of Telangana is the Indian Navy establishing its second VLF communication station?
- What is the primary purpose of the VLF communication station for the Navy?
- Where is the INS Kattabomman Radar Station located?
- When is the new VLF center in Vikarabad expected to be completed?
- How many hectares of Damagudem Reserve Forest land has been allocated to the Navy?
Kindly share your responses in the comment section!!