Indian Railways is installing a Real-Time Train Information System (RTIS), developed in collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), on locomotives “for automatic acquisition of train movement timing at the stations, including that of arrival and departure or run-through”. With this, Train Control will now be able to track the location & speed of RTIS-enabled locomotives /trains more closely, without any manual intervention.
About the Real-Time Train Information System (RTIS):
- Real-Time Train Information System (RTIS), developed in collaboration with ISRO, is being installed on the locomotives for automatic acquisition of train movement timing at the stations, including that of arrival & departure or run-through.
- They get automatically plotted on the control chart of those trains in the Control Office Application (COA) system. RTIS devices have been installed for 2700 locomotives in 21 electric loco sheds. As part of Phase-II rollout, 6000 more locomotives across 50 loco sheds shall be covered by utilizing ISRO’s Satcom hub.
- Meanwhile, the newly launched Chatbot of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) is getting a remarkable response from train passengers during the beta launch as over 1 billion people have used it.
Important Takeaways for All Competitive Exams:
- ISRO Chairman: S. Somanath;
- ISRO’s foundation Date: 15th August, 1969;
- ISRO’s Founder: Dr. Vikram Sarabhai.