“Sign Learn” smartphone app: The Center released the “Sign Learn” smartphone app, a 10,000-word lexicon for Indian Sign Language (ISL). Pratima Bhoumik, minister of state for social justice and empowerment, introduced the app. The 10,000-word Indian Sign Language Research And Training Centre (ISLRTC) lexicon serves as the foundation for Sign Learn. All the terms in the ISL dictionary can be searched using Hindi or English on the app, which is accessible in Android and iOS versions.
“Sign Learn” smartphone app: Key Points
- Notably, on October 6, 2020, ISLRTC and the NCERT signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the conversion of NCERT textbooks from classes 1 through 12 into Indian Sign Language (digital format) in order to make the textbooks accessible to children with hearing impairments.
- The official said, that ISL e-content for class 6 NCERT textbooks was introduced this year.
- A few volumes from the National Book Trust’s “Veergatha” series had ISL translations released by the Center as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- ISLRTC and NCERT collaborated to launch 500 academic words in Indian Sign Language for the“Sign Learn” smartphone app.
- These academic terms, which are frequently used in history, science, political science, and mathematics, are utilised at the secondary school level.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Minister of state for social justice and empowerment: Pratima Bhoumik
- Joint Secretary, Chairperson & Director ISLRTC: Sh. Rajesh Kumar Yadav