Indian Railways has operationalised its 1st 12,000 hp electric Locomotive- WAG12. The loco is named WAG12 with Number 60027. This Locomotive has manufactured by Madhepura Electric Loco Factory in Bihar.
This locomotive has been put into operation by Indian Railways from Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction. Now, India has become the sixth country within the world to join the elite club of manufacturing high horsepower locomotive indigenously. It is the 1st time that prime horsepower locomotive has been operationalised on railroad track within the world. The locomotive has been produced under the It is the first time.
About Locomotive- WAG12
- These locomotives are state-of-the-art IGBT based, three-phase drive, 9000 KW (12,000 horse-power) locomotive.
- The locomotive is capable of the utmost tractive effort of 706 kN, which is capable of starting and running a 6000 T train within the gradient of 1 in 150.
- The locomotive with twin Bo-Bo design having 22.5 T (tonnes) axle load is upgradable to 25 tonnes with a design speed of 120 kmph.
- This locomotive is going to be a game-changer for further movement of coal trains for Dedicated Freight Corridor.
- The locomotives are often tracked through GPS for its strategic use through embedded software and Antennae being lifted through the servers on the bottom through a microwave link.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal.
- Minister of State of Railways: Angadi Suresh Channabasappa.