Former chief election commissioner (CEC) Sunil Arora has been invited to join the board of advisers at the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, also known as International IDEA. IDEA has a 15-member board of advisers, all of whom are eminent personalities from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The election commission of India official statement that Sunil Arora has rich leadership experience, knowledge and skills to contribute significantly to the working of the International Institute. Sunil Arora had served as the 23rd Chief Election Commissioner of India from December 2018 to April 2021. It was under his tenure that the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections were conducted.
About the International IDEA
- The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) was established in 1995. It is an intergovernmental organization based in Stockholm, Sweden. India is one of the founding members of the institute.
- The key mission of International IDEA is to support sustainable democracy worldwide. It currently has 34 member countries, which include new, old, small and large democracies from all continents.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance Founded: 27 February 1995;
- International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance Stockholm, Sweden;
- International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance Secretary-General: Kevin Casas-Zamora.