World blitz chess championship
Former World rapid champion K. Humpy produced a superlative performance to claim India’s first-ever silver medal from the World blitz chess championship that concluded in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Humpy defeated China’s Zhongyi Tan to win Silver in the 17th and final round. Fourth-seeded Humpy scored an impressive 12.5 points, just half a point behind the gold medal winner Bibisara Balabayeva of Kazakhstan. Humpy is the second Indian to win a medal at World Blitz, after Viswanathan Anand.
World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championship 2022:
The International Chess governing body FIDE organises World Rapid and Blitz chess championship at the end of the year. This year it was held in Kazakhstan’s capital Almaty from 26-30 December 2022.
World Blitz Chess Championship:
- The men’s section was won by Magnus Carlsen. He became the first player in chess history to hold the Classical chess world championship, Rapid world championship and the Blitz world Championship at the same time.
- The women’s section was won by Bibisara Balabayeva of Kazakhstan.
- Koneru Humpy came second and won the Silver medal.
World Rapid Chess Championship
- In the Rapid section the Men’s title was won by No.1 Magnus Carlsen of Norway. It was the 4th time that Carlsen has won the Rapid title. It was held on 26 and 28 December at Almaty, Kazakhstan.
- The women’s title was won by the Chinese Grand Master Tan Zhongyi. Savitha Shri of India won the Bronze medal in the world Rapid section.