The Largest Statue in the World
The largest statue in the world is the statue of unity which is located in the state of Gujarat India. The statue of unity is 182 m high and it affects the Indian statesman and independence activist Vallabhbhai Patel. The prime minister of India Narendra Modi announced this project on 7th October 2013, although the project was first announced in 2010 and the construction of the statue started in the year 2013 in October. The construction was started by an Indian company Larsen and Toubro and the total cost of the construction was 2700 crores.
Key points of the largest statue in the world
- The designer of the statue was the Indian sculpture Ram Sutar and the statue was inaugurated by the prime minister Narendra Modi on 31st October 2018, which was the 143rd anniversary of Vallabhbhai Patel’s birthday.
- To execute this project a society named Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta trust was formed under the chairmanship of the chief minister of Gujarat.
- For the construction of the statue of unity, the makers needed iron which was collected from the farmers. The farmers donated their used farming instruments and by 2016, 135 matric terms of scrap iron were collected to build the statue of unity, it was about 109 turns and was used to make the foundation of the statue.
- The statue of unity is the world’s tallest statue it is 182 meters. It is 54 m higher than the spring temple of Buddha in China’s Henan province. The statue of unity is constructed on a river Island named Sadhu Bed which is 3.2 km away from the Narmada dam.
- The statue is divided into 5 zones, out of which only three hours are accessible to the general public. The first zone of the statue starts from the base to the level of Patel’s shins, which have three levels. These three levels include an exhibition area mezzanine and roof. The first zone also contains a museum and a memorial garden. The second zone of the statue reaches up to the thighs of Patel’s statue, while the third zone extends up to the viewing gallery which is at a height of 153 m.
- After the grand opening of the statue of unity on the first of November 2018, more than 1 lakh tourists visited the statue in 10 days. The statue of unity attracted more than 2 crore visitors in the first year of its operation with rupees 82 crores ticket revenue.