Manipur gets the top position in the Northeast Olympic Games for the second consecutive time with 237 medals, including 85 gold, as the second edition of the regional multi-sport event. Manipur also won 76 silver and 77 bronze while Assam was a close second with 201 medals including 81 gold, 60 silver, and 60 bronzes in the event competed among the eight states of the country’s northeast region from November 10.
Manipur Tops the Medal Tally in the Northeast Olympic Games- Key Points
- Arunachal Pradesh ended in third place and the host state Meghalaya was fourth with 149 medals (36 gold, 35 silver, 78 bronze), a much better show than their sixth-place finish with 39 medals in the first edition.
- Manipur had also topped the medal tally (80 gold, 49 silver, and 33 bronze) when it hosted the inaugural Games in October 2018.
- Manipur, which has produced Olympic medal-winning athletes such as boxer MC Mary Kom and weightlifter Mirabai Chanu, overtook Assam and consolidated its top position by winning 17 medals, including seven gold, on the final day.
- The U-17 Manipuri women’s football team, which has a few national team players in its ranks, beat Arunachal Pradesh 3-0 in the finals.
- Around 3000 athletes competed in 18 disciplines at 12 venues spread across Shillong. The first edition in Manipur had 12 disciplines.