Indian Army registered for Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) of the new design and camouflage pattern uniform to establish the ownership. The Controller General of Patents, Designs, and Trademark, Kolkata completed the registration process.
Indian Army Registered IPR for ‘Combat uniform’- Key Points
- The new Digital Pattern Combat Uniform for Indian Army soldiers was unveiled on 15 January 2022 which was also Army Day.
- The improved uniform has a contemporary look and functional design. The fabric has been made lighter, stronger, breathable, quick-drying, and easier to maintain.
- The uniform’s uniqueness is evident with the inclusion of gender-specific modifications for women’s combat uniforms.
- The Defence Ministry has informed that the exclusive ‘Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)’ of the Design and Camouflage Pattern rests solely with the Indian Army, and therefore manufacturing by any vendor who is not authorized to do so will be illegal and is liable to face legal repercussions.
- Indian Army can enforce exclusive rights to the design and can file infringement suits by way of a civil action before a competent court of law. Remedies against infringements include interim and permanent injunctions as well as damages.