Manipur is a state of North Eastern India and is among one of the seven sisters. The capital of Manipur is Imphal and the state shares its borders with Nagaland, Mizoram, and Assam. It shares its international borders with Myanmar and China. The state covers an area of 22,327 square kilometers. During the British India Empire, Manipur was one of the princely states in India. The economy of Manipur is primarily an agrarian economy with the significance of hydroelectric power generation potential. 41% of the state population is constituted by the tribal. People living in Manipur follow Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, J, and a major part follows Hinduism.
Manipur: Modern History
- A democratic form of government was established by the Manipur State Constitution Act of 1947.
- Maharaja Bodhchandra was summoned to Shillong to merge the kingdom into the Union Of India.
- On 15th October 1949 Manipur was merged with India. Later in 1956, it was made into a union territory, and finally in 1972, it was declared a state by the North Eastern Areas Act of 1971.
- The first armed opposition group of Manipur was founded in 1964 and was known as the United Nations Liberation Front (UNLF).
- After which several other groups were formed in Manipur, 1977 the People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK) was formed, and the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) was formed in 1978.
- From 1980 to 2004 the Government of India referred to Manipur as a disturbed area which refers to a territory where extraordinary loss under the armed forces act can be used.
- However, in 2004 the government lifted the disturbed status after a violent attack on a local woman.
Manipur: Things you need to know
- The capital of Manipur is Imphal.
- The chief minister of Manipur is N. Biren Singh and the governor is La Ganesan.
- Manipur was merged with India on 15th October 1949.
- The official language of Manipur is the Meitei or Manipuri language.
- The total area covered by Manipur is about 22,327 square kilometers.
- The state animal of Manipur is Sangai, the state bird is Nongyeen, and the state flower is Shirui Lily.