Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma has launched the ‘Rural Backyard Piggery Scheme’ to ensure the farmers earn a sustainable livelihood through different livestock farming activities. The Chief Minister said that the government through different welfare schemes is successfully providing income generation opportunities and economic prosperity to the farmers.
Under Rural Backyard Piggery Scheme – phase 1:
- The government has earmarked Rs 15.18 crore under which four high-yielding improved varieties will be distributed to 6000 families.
- The Meghalaya Chief Minister informed that additional Rs 25 crore will be earmarked to roll out the second phase of the programme.
- To make the state self-sufficient in pork, the government is implementing one of the largest piggery development programmes the ‘Meghalaya Piggery Mission’.
- Under this mission, zero interest loan is provided for setting up fattening and pig breeding. So far 250 piggery cooperative societies have availed loans amounting to Rs 43.67 crore.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Meghalaya Capital: Shillong;
- Meghalaya Chief Minister: Conrad Kongkal Sangma;
- Meghalaya Governor: Satya Pal Malik.