The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has announced the establishment of a Quantum Computing Applications Lab in partnership with Amazon Web Services (AWS). The move will give select researchers, scientists access to Amazon’s Bracket cloud-based quantum computing service.
National Mission on Quantum Technology and Applications
- It is to be implemented by the Department of Science and Technology operating under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- The mission focuses on fundamental science, technology development and addresses the issues concerning the national priorities.
- It will prepare next-generation skilled manpower and encourages entrepreneurship and startup ecosystem development.
- The Union Budget 2020-21 had proposed to spend Rs 8,000 crores on the National Mission on Quantum Technologies and Applications.
Quantum Technology is based on principles of quantum physics. That is, it is based on quantum theory. In simple words, it is the behaviour of energy and material in atomic and subatomic levels. It will help achieve information processing that will go beyond the limits of the classical world. A conventional computer will process in bits. On the other hand, a quantum computer will process in quantum bits.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Minister of Electronics and Information Technology: Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- Amazon Web Services CEO: Andy Jassy.
- Amazon Web Services Founded: 2006.
- Amazon Web Services Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, United States.