Daughter of India, weightlifter Mirabai Chanu has won India’s first Gold Medal at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in the Women’s 49Kg weightlifting category. She aggregated a total of 201kg (88kg+113kg) to stamp her authority in the competition and achieve a Commonwealth Games record in the process. The silver went to Mauritius’ Marie Hanitra Roilya Ranaivosoa (172kg) and the bronze to Canada’s Hannah Kaminski (171 kg).
Commonwealth Games 2022 Medal Tally
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Last year, Chanu won a silver medal in the 49kg category of Women’s weightlifting event at the Tokyo Olympics. And with that, she became the first Indian weightlifter to win a silver medal in Olympics. Chanu also become the second Indian weightlifter to win an Olympic medal after Karnam Malleswari bagged bronze in the 69kg category at the 2000 Sydney Games when the weightlifting arena was opened to women for the first time.
About the Mirabai Chanu:
- Saikhom Mirabai Chanu was born on 8 August 1994 in Nongpok Kakching about 30 km away from Imphal city, Manipur to a Meitei family. She won the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in Women’s 49 kg category.
- She has won the World Championships and multiple medals at the Commonwealth Games.
- She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her contributions to the sport. She was awarded the sporting honour Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna by the Government of India in 2018.
You can also read:
- Mirabai Chanu Biography
- Mirabai Chanu Bagged ‘BBC Indian Sportswoman Of The Year’ Award 2021
- Mirabai Chanu Wins Gold At Singapore Weightlifting International