Andhra Pradesh cadre IAS officer N. Srikant has been appointed as the additional secretary of the Union Ministry of Power and New and Renewable Energy, as per an official release. This marks a new chapter in Mr. Srikant’s illustrious career, adding to his already impressive list of accomplishments in the field.
Background and Career Highlights
Mr. Srikant, a 1998-batch officer of the All India Services, has a rich and diverse career trajectory. Mr. Srikant has consistently demonstrated leadership and innovation throughout his career.
- He was previously serving as a joint secretary in the Union Cabinet, having been transferred there last year.
- Before that, he held the pivotal position of Secretary (Energy) in the Government of Andhra Pradesh, showcasing his expertise in the energy sector.
- His roles have extended beyond state boundaries, including serving as the first Commissioner of AP Capital Region Development Authority and as the Chairman and Managing Director of AP-Transco.
Key Achievements as Energy Secretary
During his tenure as the Energy Secretary in Andhra Pradesh, Mr. Srikant played a crucial role in implementing cost-effective measures that resulted in substantial economic savings for the state.
- One of his notable achievements was overseeing the declaration of savings amounting to ₹4,783 crore by the AP power utilities.
- This feat was accomplished through strategic decisions such as opting for open market purchase of power and introducing reverse tendering in coal transportation during the financial years 2019-20 and 2020-21.
- Additionally, the Energy Department, under Mr. Srikant’s guidance, reported savings of around ₹2,350 crore through spot market electricity purchases during the same period.
- These financial successes not only bolstered the state’s economic standing but also earned accolades for the Andhra Pradesh government at the national level.
Commitment to Renewable Energy
- Expressing his views on the occasion of his appointment, Mr. Srikant highlighted his commitment to advancing the Ministry of Power’s policies.
- He emphasized that he would prioritize all states in promoting renewables, aiming to enhance the economy and improve living standards across the country.
Anticipating Positive Impact
- As N. Srikant takes on new responsibilities, there is anticipation of continued positive impact under his leadership in the promotion of renewables and sustainable energy practices for the betterment of the nation.