In India, the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas or National Unity Day is observed every year on October 31 since 2014, to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Iron Man of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. This year marks the 145th anniversary of the great leader who played an instrumental role in India’s struggle for independence, and later during the integration of the country.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel:
- He was born on 31st October 1875 in Nadiad, Gujarat.
- He was the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of independent India.
- He played an important role in the integration of many Indian princely states to make an Indian federation.
- At the time of independence, he played a key role in convincing several princely states to align with the Indian Union. He also worked hard as a social leader for the independence of India.
- Women of Bardoli bestowed the title ‘Sardar’ on Vallabhbhai Patel, which means ‘a Chief or a Leader’.
- He is recognized as the real unifier of India for his colossal contribution to integrate and make India a united (Ek Bharat) and an independent nation.
- He requested the people of India to live together by uniting in order to create Shresth Bharat (Foremost India).
- He is also remembered as the ‘Patron saint of India’s civil servants’ as he established the modern all-India services system.
- The Statue of Unity at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Gujarat was built in his honour.