The government has introduced a new program called the “New India Literacy Programme” (NILP), which is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme that will be implemented for five years from FY 2022-23 to 2026-27. The scheme has a financial outlay of Rs. 1037.90 crore, with the Central government contributing Rs. 700.00 crore and the State governments contributing Rs. 337.90 crore. The primary objective of the program is to provide literacy to 5.00 crore individuals in the age group of 15 years and above who are currently unable to read or write.
Salient Features of The “New India Literacy Programme”:
- The “New India Literacy Programme” has been launched for the period of FY 2022-2027 to address all aspects of adult education, aligning with the National Education Policy 2020.
- It will cover non-literates in the age group of 15 years and above across all States/UTs, aiming to provide literacy to 1 crore learners per year and a total of 5 crore learners.
- The program will use the “Online Teaching, Learning and Assessment System (OTLAS)” in collaboration with National Informatics Centre, NCERT, and NIOS.
Key Focuses of the Scheme:
- Foundational Literacy and Numeracy
- Critical Life Skills
- Vocational Skills Development
- Basic Education
- Continuing Education
Objectives of the New India Literacy Programme:
- The program aims to address all aspects of adult education, including Foundational Literacy and Numeracy, Critical Life Skills, Vocational Skills Development, Basic Education, and Continuing Education.
- The use of the “Online Teaching, Learning and Assessment System (OTLAS)” will ensure that learners have access to quality education.
- The scheme also seeks to align with the National Education Policy 2020 and to provide an inclusive and equitable education to all learners, including those in disadvantaged communities.
You may also read this:
- Government Increases Raw Jute MSP by Rs 300 to Rs 5,050 per quintal
- ‘Sagar Parikrama Phase IV’ concludes in Karnataka
- Cabinet sanctions focused subsidy for beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana