The Central American country, Republic of Nicaragua became the 87th country to sign the International Solar Alliance(ISA) Framework Agreement. The agreement was signed by the Permanent Representative of Nicaragua to the United Nations Jaime Hermida Castillo at the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations in New York.
About International Solar Alliance (ISA):
- The International Solar Alliance was jointly launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and former French President Francois Hollande at the UN Climate Change Conference in Paris in November 2015.
- It is a major global initiative for the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement, envisioning rapid deployment of solar energy units.
- The Alliance became a treaty-based intergovernmental body on 6th December 2017.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Capital of Nicaragua: Managua.
- Currency of Nicaragua: Nicaraguan Cordoba.
- President of Nicaragua: Daniel Ortega.
- International Solar Alliance Headquarters: Gurugram, Haryana.