The Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC), the Maharashtra government, and the Indian Ministry of Textiles joined hands by signing a memorandum of understanding to establish the PM Mega Integrated Textile Regions and Apparel Park (PM MITRA Park) in Amravati,Maharashtra. The inauguration of the PM MITRA mega textile park took place with the aim of attracting an investment of ₹10,000 crore and creating 300,000 job opportunities.
Location and Infrastructure of the PM MITRA Park in Amravati
Occupying a contiguous land area of 1,020 acres in Nandgaon Peth, adjacent to the Additional Amravati Industrial Area (MIDC), the Park is conveniently located just 30 kilometers away from the Mumbai Nagpur Samruddhi Highway and 147 kilometers from the nearest port, the Wardha Dry Port. Being a brownfield park, it already possesses essential infrastructure such as roads, water supply, and electricity.
Government’s Initiative for PM MITRA Parks: Boosting Textile Industry in India
- Earlier this year, the Government of India unveiled plans to establish 7 PM MITRA Parks across the country as designated sites for the textile industry. These parks aim to create top-notch industrial infrastructure that can attract substantial investments, including foreign direct investment (FDI), while fostering innovation and job creation within the sector.
- Inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visionary 5F concept (Farm to Fibre to Factory to Fashion to Foreign), the PM MITRA Parks represent a significant stride towards realizing the government’s ambition of positioning India as a global hub for textile manufacturing and exports.
- The establishment of these parks in Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and Maharashtra is expected to enhance the competitiveness of the textile industry, enabling economies of scale and enticing international players to manufacture in India.
These parks will provide exceptional infrastructure, plug-and-play facilities, as well as training and research resources tailored to the industry’s needs. The PM MITRA Parks introduce a unique model where the central and state governments collaborate to attract investments, drive innovation, create job opportunities, and ultimately establish India as a global leader in textile manufacturing and exports. It is estimated that these parks will attract investments of approximately Rs. 70,000 crores and generate employment for around 2 million people.
Key takeaways for competitive examinations
- Union Minister of Textiles: Piyush Goyal
- India’s first PM MITRA Park in: Virudhunagar,Tamil Nadu