The Government of India and Bangladesh held a virtual summit to hold comprehensive discussions on the entire spectrum of the bilateral relationship, including further strengthening cooperation in the post-COVID-19 era. The meeting was led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina.
During the summit:
- The two leaders jointly inaugurated the Chilahati-Haldibari rail link, which would connect the borders of the two neighbouring countries. The rail route lies between Haldibari in West Bengal and Chilahati in Bangladesh. It is re-opened after a gap of 55 years. The railway line has been defunct after rail links between India and then East Pakistan snapped in 1965.
- Both the leaders also digitally inaugurated the digital exhibition in the honour of Mahatma Gandhi and Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rehman.
- The Indian side also released a postal stamp to commemorate Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- Apart from this, the two sides signed 7 MoUs and agreements in various fields.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Prime Minister of Bangladesh: Sheikh Hasina; Capital: Dhaka; Currency: Taka.