Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Global Millets (Shree Anna) Conference in New Delhi on 18th March, 2023. He will also address the gathering on the occasion. The conference will be attended by Agriculture Ministers of various countries, international scientists, nutritionists, health experts, start-up leaders and other stakeholders.
More About The Global Millets Conference:
The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets (IYM). The declaration was based on India’s proposal.
All central government ministries/departments, states/UTs, farmers, start-ups, exporters, retail businesses and other stakeholders are being engaged to promote and spread awareness about the benefits of millets (Shree Anna) for the cultivator, consumer and climate.
This is being done in line with the Prime Minister’s vision to make the celebrations of IYM 2023 a ‘people’s movement’ and position India as the ‘global hub for millets’
Global Millets Conference: Key Issues:
The two-day global conference will have sessions on all important issues related to millets (Shree Anna).
The important issues are:
- Promotion and awareness of millets among producers, consumers and other stakeholders
- Millets’ value chain development
- Health and nutritional aspects of millets
- Market linkages, research and development
Millets: Key Points
- 2023 is the International Year of Millets (IYoM).
- Recently Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) have collaborated with international retail hypermarket chain Lulu Group to facilitate millets export from India to the Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCCs).
You may also read this:
- Yoga Mahotsav 2023 marks the beginning of 100 Days Countdown of 9th International Yoga Day
- 23rd Commonwealth Law Conference begins in Goa