Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched the distribution of e-property cards under the SVAMITVA scheme on National Panchayati Raj Day on April 24, 2021, through video conferencing. SVAMITVA stands for Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas. The launch marked the rollout of the implementation of the SVAMITVA scheme across the entire country. About 4.09 lakh property owners were given their e-property cards during the event, in more than 5 thousand villages.
- The Svamitva Scheme was launched by Prime Minister on 24 April 2020 as a Central Sector Scheme to promote a socio-economically empowered and self-reliant rural India.
- It was launched on pilot basis in the 6 states, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh.
- The Scheme will ensure the demarcation of inhabited land in rural areas.
- It will use drones in surveying and mapping of properties in villages.
- This will help in reducing disputes over property.
- The Scheme will cover around 6.62 Lakh villages of the entire country during 2021-2025.