PR Sreejesh and Savita Punia have been voted FIH Men’s and Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year for the second year in a row. Savita Punia, the captain of the Indian women’s hockey team, and veteran goalkeeper PR Sreejesh both received the FIH goalkeeper of the year title in the men’s and women’s categories on the strength of their performances beneath the bar. Savita is just the third athlete to win Goalkeeper of the Year (Women) for three years in a row since the award’s debut in 2014.
The International Hockey Federation announced that young Indian forward Mumtaz Khan, and France’s Timothée Clément have been named the FIH Rising Stars of the Year 2021-22 in the women’s and men’s categories respectively. Mumtaz burst onto the international hockey scene at the FIH Junior Women’s World Cup 2022. She was the best performer for India at the event, scoring 8 times in 6 games. She finished in third place on the list of top scorers as India missed out on a bronze medal by a whisker, finishing in fourth place.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Hockey Federation President: Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra;
- International Hockey Federation Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland;
- International Hockey Federation Founded: 7 January 1924, Paris, France;
- International Hockey Federation CEO: Thierry Weil (Apr 2018–);
- International Hockey Federation Founder: Paul Léautey;
- International Hockey Federation Motto: FairPlay Friendship Forever.