Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana is a nationwide scheme for better connectivity and transportation in rural areas. This Yojana was launched in December 2000, to provide unrestricted all-weather road connectivity to unconnected villages of India. This Scheme is centrally sponsored and it is a part of the poverty reduction strategies of the government. It works under the Ministry of Rural Development.
The project was fully funded by the Central Government. In 2015, the 14th Finance Commission recommended that the sub-group of Chief Minister on rationalization of Centrally sponsored schemes, it was announced that the project will be funded by both the Central Government and state. It continues with a 60:40 ratio.
PM Modi To Visit Varanasi To Inaugurate Projects Worth Rs 1,800 Crore
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana: Aims
- With a population of 1000 persons and about by 2003.
- With a population of 500 people and above by 2007.
- In hills states, tribal and desert area villages with a population of 500 persons and above by 2003.
- In hills states, tribal and desert area villages with a population of 250 persons and above by 2007.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana: Significance
- This scheme helps in enhancing rural development by increasing social and economic services, which ultimately increases farm incomes and employment opportunities for people.
- The road development program is the responsibility of the government. The rural road development is retarded because of inadequate funds and diverted focus of planners. Through this program, the rural road development programs will get more attention.
- This program will help the rural people to get more opportunities, employment, education, health, and various other social welfare schemes.
- This program ensures easy and fast connectivity of rural to urban areas.
- The program provides connectivity which encourages the government functionaries like health workers, teachers, and agriculture extension workers to move to villages to offer better service to people.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana: Features
- Access to market
- Improved employment opportunities
- Access to better Health care facilities especially for pregnant mothers and children.
- Improved educational facilities especially for girl children.
- Five-year maintenance along with initial construction. Maintenance is budgeted by the states. The provision of financial incentives for main works by MoRD was also provided to the states.
FAQs related to Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
Q1. What are the challenges of Gram Sadak Yojana?
Ans. The challenge faced by the Gram Sadak Yojana is a paucity of funds, the maintenance of the roads built will need spending of ₹75,000-80,000 crore over five years from 2020-2021.
Q2. What is PMGSY?
Ans. PMGSY stands for Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana. It is a nationwide plan in India to provide good all-weather road connectivity to unconnected villages.