In a significant stride towards bolstering India’s maritime prowess, President Droupadi Murmu inaugurated the latest addition to the Indian Navy’s fleet, INS Vindhyagiri. The launch event was held at the Kolkata-based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE).
Following the launch of INS Vindhyagiri, the vessel will join its sister ships, INS Himgiri and INS Dunagiri, at the Outfitting Jetty at GRSE.
A Name Rooted in Valor: INS Vindhyagiri’s Inaugural Journey
The vessel derives its name from the mighty Vindhya mountain range, symbolizing strength, determination, and unwavering resolve. As INS Vindhyagiri touches the waters of the River Hooghly for the first time, it embarks on a journey that mirrors the resilience of the mountains after which it is named, upholding the cherished values that define our nation.
Boosting Indigenous Defense Manufacturing: A Step Towards Self-Reliance
- One of the cornerstones of the launch of INS Vindhyagiri is the profound impact it has on bolstering India’s defense industrial base.
- The Defense Ministry officials express that this landmark achievement reduces India’s reliance on foreign suppliers, aligning seamlessly with the nation’s ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat‘ (self-reliant India) vision championed by the Narendra Modi-led union government.
- More than 75% of the Project 17A orders have been entrusted to indigenous firms, including Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and ancillary industries, epitomizing India’s journey towards self-sufficiency.
Project 17A: A Showcase of Technological Excellence
- Project 17A serves as a demonstration of India’s impressive technological achievements and unwavering commitment to enhancing its maritime capabilities.
- The frigates incorporate cutting-edge attributes such as enhanced stealth capabilities, advanced armament, sophisticated sensors, and state-of-the-art platform management systems.
- The propulsion system’s exceptional performance, enabling speeds surpassing 28 knots, further solidifies the vessels’ forefront design and engineering.
- Noteworthy among the Project 17A frigates are INS Himgiri and INS Dunagiri, with dimensions spanning 149 meters in length and a displacement exceeding 6,670 tonnes.
The Largest Contract in GRSE’s History
The Project 17A frigates represent a monumental achievement for the Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers, boasting a contract value of approximately ₹19,200 crore. This contract marks the largest ever executed by GRSE, underscoring the shipyard’s capabilities and contribution to India’s maritime self-sufficiency.
Key takeaways for competitive examination
- Project 17A was launched by the Indian Navy in: 2019