Rear Admiral Rajesh Dhankhar assumed command of the Eastern Fleet, a significant and prestigious position within the Eastern Naval Command. This change of command ceremony, marking the transition from Rear Admiral Gurcharan Singh, took place at the Naval Dockyard in Visakhapatnam. The Eastern Fleet, often regarded as the Sword Arm of the Eastern Naval Command, plays a crucial role in safeguarding maritime interests in the region.
Career Highlights of Rear Admiral Rajesh Dhankhar
- Rear Admiral Rajesh Dhankhar’s naval journey began on July 1, 1990, when he was commissioned into the Indian Navy.
- With a specialization in Navigation & Direction, Rear Admiral Dhankhar has accumulated an impressive array of qualifications and experiences throughout his career.
- The newly appointed Flag Officer is an alumnus of the prestigious Naval Academy, where he laid the foundation for his naval education.
- Additionally, he has successfully completed the Defence Services Staff College and pursued his Higher Command Course in Japan, showcasing his commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
Operational Roles and Commands
- During his 33-year career, Rear Admiral Dhankhar has served in various specialist appointments onboard warships, including notable vessels such as Pondicherry, Godavari, Kora, and Mysore.
- His instructional tenures include roles in the erstwhile Project 15 Training Team, Navigation & Direction School, and Officer’s Cadet School in Singapore.
- His command appointments further include serving as the Executive Officer onboard INS Delhi and as Commanding Officer onboard INS Gharial, Mumbai, and Vikramaditya.
Staff and Operational Appointments
- Rear Admiral Dhankhar’s contributions extend to significant staff and operational appointments, such as Joint Director and Director at the Directorate of Naval Plans, Principal Director/ Cmde(Pers) at the Directorate of Personnel.
- In Flag rank, he has held crucial roles as Chief Staff Officer (Training), Flag Officer Sea Training, and Commandant at the Naval War College.
- Notably, he also took on additional duties as Chairman Carrier Acceptance Trials Team, overseeing the acceptance trials of INS Vikrant.
- In recognition of his valor and dedication, Rear Admiral Rajesh Dhankhar was awarded the Nao Sena Medal (Gallantry) in 2015.
- This prestigious honor was bestowed upon him for his role in Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations (NEO) of Indian nationals from Aden and Al-Hodeida, Yemen.