Senior IAS Officer A Santhi Kumari has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Telangana. Santhi Kumari took charge as the first women Chief Secretary of the State at the Secretariat in BRK Bhavan. Santhi Kumari will take charge over incumbent Somesh Kumar, who was relieved from the Telangana government by the Union Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
Santhi Kumari Appointed as First Woman Chief Secretary of Telangana- Key Points
- Santhi Kumari is the first woman Chief Secretary of Telangana.
- She was appointed a day after the former CS Somesh Kumar was relieved by the state government.
- After taking charge as the Chief Secretary of Telangana, she met Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao at Pragati Bhavan.
- Former CS Somesh Kumar has now reported to the Andhra Pradesh government on 12th January 2023.
- Somesh Kumar was appointed as the Chief Secretary on 31st December 2019 and approached the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) during the period of Andhra-Telangana bifurcation and asked for his cadre allocation to Andhra Pradesh.
About Santhi Kumari
Santhi Kumari is a 1989 batch officer who hails from Andhra Pradesh and has become the first woman to be Chief Secretary of Telangana. She holds a post-graduation degree in Marine Biology, has pursued an MBA in the US, and worked in the United Nations programs for two years.
She has been a diligent IAS officer for more than three decades with extensive experience in areas like poverty, inclusive development, education and health, skill development, and forest sectors. She previously served the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for two years overseeing financial inclusion.