Singapore became the World’s First Country to attach Facial verification in the National Identification Database. The function is called “SingPass Face Verification”. This technology is being rolled out to the city-state’s SingPass digital identity scheme, offering access to no less than 400 online services, including tax declarations and public housing applications.
According to the Singapore authorities, the technology helps ensure that the right person is genuinely present in front of their screen, rather than a photograph, a video, a replayed recording or a deepfake.
Benefits of Facial recognition:
- Facial recognition is increasingly being used to access other online services, such as banking.
- The function is designed to work via home computers, tablets and cell phones, as well as at public kiosks.
- In the future, facial recognition could find other applications in Singapore, such as making sure students sit their own examinations or for verification purposes in secure areas of the city-state’s ports.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Prime Minister of Singapore: Lee Hsien Loong.
- Singapore Capital: Singapore City.
- Singapore Currency: Singapore Dollar.