Architects and engineers are always trying to build the highest structures possible. These tall buildings, called skyscrapers, show how humans can create amazing things. In this article, we will take a fascinating journey to learn about the tallest building in the world.
Tallest Buildings in the World
As of 7th August 2023, the tallest building in the world is Burj Khalifa located in Dubai, UAE, with a total height of 828 meters (2,717 feet) and has 163 floors, followed by Merdeka 118 (678.9), Shanghai Tower (632 m) and Abraj Al Bait (601 m).
Here is the list of the Top 10 Tallest Buildings in the World
|S. No.||Name||Height (in m)||City||Country||Year of completion|
|2.||Merdeka 118||678.9||Kuala Lumpur||Malaysia||2023|
|4.||Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower||601||Mecca||Saudi Arabia||2012|
|5.||Ping an International Finance Centre||599.1||Shenzhen||China||2017|
|6.||Lotte World Tower||554.5||Seoul||South Korea||2017|
|7.||One World Trade Center||541.3||New York City||United States||2014|
|8.||Guangzhou CTF Finance Center||530||Guangzhou||China||2016|
|9.||Tianjin Chow Tai Fook Finance Center||530||Tianjin||China||2019|
Interesting Facts about the Top 3 Tallest Buildings in the World
1. Tallest Building in the World: Burj Khalifa
Height: 828 m (2,717 feet)
Owner: Emaar Properties
Country: Dubai, UAE
Interesting facts about Burj Khalifa:
- Tallest building in the World stands at a height of 828 m with 163 floors.
- Construction began in 2004 and completed in 2010, officially opening on January 4, 2010.
- The building features some of the fastest elevators, travelling at speeds up to 10 meter per second (33 feet per second).
- Inspired by the Hymenocallis flower and boasts a unique Y-shaped floor plan for maximum space efficiency.
- The architecture firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill designed the Burj Khalifa and it was developed by Emaar Properties.
2. Tallest Building in the World: Merdeka 118
Height: 680 m
Owner: PNB Merdeka Ventures Sdn Bhd
Interesting facts about the second tallest building in the world, Merdeka 118:
- Merdeka 118, also known as the Merdeka PNB118, is a skyscraper located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, is the second tallest building in the world.
- It stands as an iconic landmark in the city’s skyline with a height of 680 m and 118 floors.
- Construction started in November 2017 and completed in
- The design of this building is a mixture of diamond-shaped glass.
- Merdeka 118 is developed by Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), a Malaysian government-linked investment company.
3. Third Tallest Building in the World: Shanghai Tower
Height: 632 m
Owner: Shanghai Tower Construction Development
Interesting facts about the third tallest building in the world, Shanghai Tower:
- The Shanghai Tower is a spectacular skyscraper located in Shanghai, China.
- Construction began in 2008 and the tower was officially completed and opened to the public in
- It is a part of the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone, contributing to the city’s status as a global financial hub.
- The tower’s impressive elevators can reach speeds of up to 5 m per second (67 feet per second)
4. Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower
Country: Saudi Arabia
Key Features: Some of the key points which highlights the remarkable features and status of the Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower as one of the tallest and most impressive structures in the world. These are:
- Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower is located in the heart of Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
- The tower was designed by the Lebanese architectural firm Dar Al-Handasah.
- It was completed in 2012 after six years of construction work.
- The building stands at a staggering height of 1,972 feet, making it the fourth tallest building in the world as of 2023.
- Abraj Al-Bait features the world’s largest clock face, measuring 43 meters in circumference.
- The building boasts the largest floor area of any man-made construction.
5. Ping an International Finance Centre
Height: 599.1 meters
Owner: Ping An Life Insurance Company of China
Location: Shenzhen, China
Key Points: Some of the key points which highlights the remarkable features and status of the Ping an International Finance Centre as one of the tallest and most impressive structures in the world. These are:
- The Ping an International Finance Centre is located in Shenzhen, China.
- It stands at a towering height of 1,966 feet, making it the tallest building in Shenzhen, the second tallest in China and the fifth in the world.
- The building’s striking infrastructure was completed by the New York architectural firm Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates.
- The structural design of the building was carried out by another New York design firm, Thornton Tomasetti.
- The building structure is made from a composite of stainless steel and glass, contributing to its modern and sleek appearance.