‘Ikshak’ is the third of the four Survey Vessels (Large SVL) Project, being built by GRSE/L&T for the Indian Navy was launched on 26th November 2022 at Kattupalli, Chennai.
Ikshak made her first contact with the water of the Bay of Bengal at 1040 hours. The launch ceremony was felicitated by VAdm MA Hampiholi, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Southern Naval Command.
Third Ship of Survey Vessel ‘Ikshak’ Launched by Indian Navy- Key Points
- Four SVL ship was signed between MoD and Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE).
- As per the build strategy of GRSE, the first ship is being built at GRSE, Kolkata.
- SLV ships will replace the existing Sandhyak Class survey ships with new-generation hydrographic equipment to collect oceanographic data.
- The Survey Vessel Ships are 110m long, and 16m wide with a deep displacement of 3400 tons and a complement of 231 personnel.
- Propulsion system of the ship consists of two main engines in twin shaft configuration.
- It is designed with a cruise speed of 14 knots and a maximum speed of 18 knots.
- Bow & Stern Thrusters have been catered for better maneuvering at low speeds required during shallow water survey operations.