Time Magazine’s 2022 Person of the Year
Time magazine named President Volodymyr Zelensky as well as “the spirit of Ukraine” as its 2022 person of the year, for the resistance the country has shown in the face of Russia’s invasion. Zelensky shares the 2022 title with “the spirit of Ukraine,” which Felsenthal said was embodied by the “countless individuals inside and outside the country” who fought behind the scenes, including everyday people such as chefs and surgeons.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The Time magazine editor Edward Felsenthal wrote that “spirit of Ukraine” referred to Ukrainians around the world, including many who “fought behind the scenes” against the Russian invasion. The magazine said Mr Zelensky had inspired Ukrainians and was recognised internationally for his courage in resisting the Russian invasion.
Other categories winners:
- Time Heroes of the Year: Women in Iran were named the Time Heroes of the Year. Iranian women who are protesting for over three months against the custodial death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini. She was arrested for not wearing hijab publicly and she died while in the custody of the Iranian morality police. Her death has triggered a mass protest from the Iranian women against public wearing of Hijab and the morality police.
- Time’s Entertainer of the year: The South Korean K-pop band Blackpink were recognised as.
- Athlete of the Year: American baseball player Aaron Judge.
- Icon of the Year: Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh .
Named the Indian who featured time person of the Year:
- Mahatma Gandhi is the only Indian to be named TIME Person of the Year, having been given the honour in 1930. The magazine described him as ‘Saint Gandhi’ and later named him as one of the 25 Political Icons of all time.
- The tradition of naming Time person of the year started in 1927. Initially it was named the Time Man of the Year. Other past winners have included the former dictator of Germany, Adolf Hitler in 1938, and Russian President Vladimir Putin, who was 2007’s Person of the Year.
- Time first presented its Person of the Year award in 1927. Last year’s honoree was Tesla and SpaceX chief Elon Musk, who has since made major headlines with his high-profile purchase of Twitter.