Distinguished Scientist of Department of Atomic Energy, K.V. Suresh Kumar has assumed charge as Chairman and Managing Director of BharatiyaNabhikiyaVidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI) on 2nd December 2022 at Kalpakkam. His tenure will be for three years. Suresh Kumar is a graduate in Chemical Engineering and joined Department of Atomic Energy at BARC Training School in Mumbai (29th batch) in1985.
About the Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI):
- The Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Limited (BHAVINI) is a wholly owned Enterprise of Government of India.
- Under the administrative control of the Department of Atomic Energy incorporated on 22 October 2003 as Public Limited Company under the companies act, 1956.
- With the objective of constructing and commissioning the first 500 MWe Fast Breeder Reactor (FBR) at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu and to pursue construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of subsequent Fast Breeder Reactors for generation of electricity in pursuance of the schemes and programmes of Government of India under the provisions of the Atomic Energy Act, 1962.
- BHAVINI is currently constructing a 500MWe Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor at Kalpakkam, 70 km from Chennai.
- Once the first fast breeder reactor, called Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor goes into commercial power production, BHAVINI will be the second power utility in India after Nuclear Power Corporation of India, to use nuclear fuel sources to generate power.