Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of the Lauder Institute at the University of Pennsylvania has released the 2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report. India’s Observer Research Foundation (ORF) has been ranked at 27th position among 176 global think tanks (U.S. and non-U.S.). It was ranked at 118th position in the 2018 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report.
About Global Go To Think Tank Index Report:
The Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of the Lauder Institute at the University of Pennsylvania administers a research on the role that policy institutes play in the governments and civil societies around the world. TTCSP determines the evolving responsibility and character of public policy research organizations. The TTCSP was formed in 1989 and has focused on gathering data and conducting research on the think tank trends and the role think tanks play as civil society actors in the policymaking process. The 2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report is the 14h edition of the report.
What is a Think Tank?
Think tanks are those organizations that generates policy-oriented research, analysis, and advice on issues whether domestic or international. It also enables policy makers and the public to make well informed decisions about public policy. These are affiliated or independent institutions that are structured as permanent bodies. The aim of the index is to produce an inclusive and far-reaching report of international think tanks.
Changes in 2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report:
- “Think Tank On Cutting Edge of Artificial Intelligence Research” is a new category that was added to the 2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index.
- One of the other major change is that any think tank that has been ranked as the top think tank (#1) in a category for 3 consecutive years will not be included in the rankings for that category for the next 3 years and will be recognized as a center of excellence. This categorised think tank will be recognized as a center of excellence for its achievement of level of distinction as a think tank center of excellence.
Indicators used in the index:
Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program has considered the following indicators while examining the impact of think tanks: Resource indicators, Utilization indicators, Output indicators, Impact indicators.
2019 Ranking Categories & Winners:
- Top Think Tanks in the World
- Top Think Tanks by Region
- Top Think Tanks by Area of Research
- Top Think Tanks by Special Achievement
Some important highlights for India:
Observer Research Foundation (ORF) has been ranked:
- 27th in the 2019 Top Think Tanks Worldwide (U.S. and non-U.S.)
- 3rd in 2019 Top Think Tanks in China, India, Japan, and the Republic of Korea
- 31st in 2019 Top Defense and National Security
- 41st in 2019 Top Domestic Economic Policy Think Tanks
- 55th in 2019 Top Education Policy Think Tanks
- 1st in 2019 Best New Idea or Paradigm Developed by a Think Tank
- 7th in Best Think Tank Conference
- 9th in Think Tank to Watch in 2019
- 7th in 2019 Think Tanks with the Most Innovative Policy Ideas/Proposals