The United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration has been officially launched, which will run from 2021 to 2030. United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration will be co-led by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO). It was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in a 2019 resolution.
- Protection and revival of millions of hectares of ecosystems all around the world for the benefit of people and nature. This in turn will contribute to the achievement of all the Sustainable Development Goals.
- A Multi-Partner Trust Fund has also been launched for the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration. Germany is the first country to provide funding of Euro 14 million towards this fund.
- In order to support the launch of the UN Decade, a report has also been released which defines the need of having such a global restoration effort.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- United Nations Headquarters in New York, USA.
- Mr Antonio Guterres is the Secretary-General of the United Nations.