Utsa Patnaik, a well-known economist of both national and international acclaim, has been chosen for the prestigious Malcolm Adiseshiah Award 2023. The award is presented annually by the Malcolm & Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust, with outstanding social scientists being recognized by a national-level jury from the nominations received. The recipient of the award will receive a citation and a cash prize of ₹2 lakh at a ceremony to be held in Chennai, the date of which will be announced by the Trust soon. In 2022, the award was presented to the Indian economist, Prabhat Patnaik.
About the Utsa Patnaik
Utsa Patnaik is a renowned economist of national and international repute who has made seminal contributions to the fields of agrarian studies, political economy, history of economic thought, and colonialism and imperialism. She has authored several books and articles on various topics related to development economics, such as agrarian relations, peasant movements, food security, poverty alleviation, fiscal policy, trade policy, debt crisis, globalization, neoliberalism, capitalism, socialism, Marxism-Leninism-Maoism (MLM), Indian economic history, and world economic history.
Malcolm Adiseshiah Award
- It is one of the most prestigious national awards in India that recognizes and honours the outstanding contributions of social scientists to the field of development studies.
- It was instituted in 2000 by the Malcolm and Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust.
- The Award is given every year to a mid-career social scientist who has made outstanding contributions to development studies through research, teaching, policy advocacy, or public service.
- The award consists of a citation and prize money of Rs. 2 lahks.
- The award is given by a national-level jury constituted by the Malcolm & Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust from the nominations received.