Seasoned cueist Vidya Pillai achieved a monumental milestone in her illustrious career as she secured the IBSF 6-Red Snooker World Championship title in Doha, Qatar, just days before her 46th birthday. The Bengalurean showcased a stellar performance, dominating her opponents throughout the championship, with a standout victory of 4-1 against compatriot Anupama Ramachandran in the title clash.
Untroubled March to Victory
- In the semifinal clash against Bai Yulu, Vidya showcased her expertise with a notable run of 33 in the second frame and an impressive clearance of 63 in the fourth.
- She dominated Group ‘A’ with an impeccable all-win record and proceeded to outplay compatriot Varshaa Sanjeev 3-0 in the pre-quarters.
- The quarterfinal clash against On Yee showcased Vidya’s exceptional skill, as she secured a flawless 4-0 victory, leaving her opponent with only 15 points in the entire match.
Vidya Viswanathan Pillai: A Trailblazing Journey in Professional Snooker
- Born on November 26, 1977, Vidya Viswanathan Pillai is a distinguished professional snooker player from India who grew up in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Vidya Pillai has garnered numerous international medals for India, attaining a gold medal in the IBSF World Team Snooker Championship in 2013. She secured another gold in the IBSF Australian Women’s Ranking Snooker Championship in 2016.
- Notably, in 2017, she made history as the first Indian woman to reach the finals of the WLBSA World Women’s Snooker Championship.
Ekalavya award in 2016 by Karnataka Government
- Her accomplishments extend to the Asian Billiard Sport Championship held in Doha in 2016, where she secured a silver medal.
- In the WLBSA World Women’s Snooker Championship in 2017, Vidya emerged as the runner-up, narrowly missing the title to Ng On-yee.
- In acknowledgment of her remarkable accomplishments, the Government of Karnataka honored her with the Ekalavya award in 2016, recognizing her outstanding performance in sports.
Important Questions Related to Exams
1. Who secured the IBSF 6-Red Snooker World Championship title in Doha, Qatar?
Answer: Vidya Pillai.
2. In the title clash, who did Vidya Pillai defeat with a remarkable 4-1 victory?
Answer: Anupama Ramachandran.
3. Which government honored Vidya Pillai with the Ekalavya award in 2016?
Answer: Government of Karnataka.