East Coast Railways‘ Visakhapatnam railway station
East Coast Railways‘ Visakhapatnam railway station has received the prestigious ‘Green Railway Station Certification’ with the highest Platinum rating. The certificate has been awarded by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) for adopting green concepts. It secured 82 out of 100 points in six environmental categories.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The Environment Directorate of Indian Railways, with the support of the IGBC, has developed the Green Railway Station rating system. It addresses national priorities such as water conservation, handling of waste, energy efficiency, reduced use of fossil fuel, lesser dependence on usage of virgin materials and health and well-being of occupants.
Overview of the News
- Visakhapatnam secured 82 out of 100 points in six environmental categories.
- Visakhapatnam railway station falls under the Waltair division of the East Coast Railway. The railway station has performed well in various categories such as – sustainable facilities, health, hygiene, energy and water efficiency, smart green initiatives, innovation, and development.
- Visakhapatnam railway station performed well in categories such as sustainable facilities, health, hygiene, energy and water efficiency, smart green initiatives, innovation and development.
The following steps were undertaken based on Survey and Recommendations of IGBC that conducted the Survey:
- Segregation of Waste by Constructing MRF Shed
- Setting and Operationalization of 500KLD STP for Station & Colony Water
- Setting up of Solar Panels to conserve Power
- Well Developed Passenger Amenities
- 100% fitment of LED Lightings.
This feat has been entirely through team effort of all the departments spearheaded by EnHM WING.
What is Green Railway Station?
The Environment Directorate of Indian Railways (IR) with the support of IGBC has developed the Green Railway Stations Rating System to reduce the adverse environmental impacts due to station operation, and maintenance and enhance the overall experience of the passengers. This is a voluntary and consensus-based program.
The rating system helps to address issues of national priorities such as – water conservation, handling of waste, energy efficiency, reduced use of fossil fuels, lesser dependence on usage of virgin materials, and health and well-being of occupants.
Initially, the ‘Green Railway Stations rating system’ was designed for existing railway stations. However, the stations under redevelopment can also apply for the rating.