The Indian Railways has successfully concluded the trial of an Artificial Intelligence Programme it built to fix the endless problem of the Waiting list. The Indian Railways has also introduced the Ideal Train Profile to maximize the capacity utilization and revenue generation in reserved mail express trains by regularly analyzing the demand pattern of every single train.
The AI module has been developed by an in-house team led by R Gopalakrishnan of the Centre of Railways Information System (CRIS). The module is completed after an extensive effort by the team for over two years.
Indian Railways Launches ‘Ideal Train Profile’ Maximize Seat Utilization- Key Points
- The Ideal Train Profile is seat capacity optimization decision support, which is done because the number of ticket class combinations on a single train journey can exceed 5,000.
- The Railways Ministry has announced that the pattern of demand for accommodation is not always on an end-to-end basis.
- The Patten will also vary in all trains depending on various factors like its origin-destination pairs, date and timings, class of accommodation, or availability of alternate trains.
- The ministry has also informed that the development of the Ideal Train Profile utility will provide the railway administrators is the passenger profile cells in various zonal railways.
- The AI program will also help zonal railways to conduct a periodic review of the trains quotas to address the changing demand mix on account of holidays, seasonality, etc.
- The pilot project was started on seven zonal railways including Eastern, Central, Northern, Southern, South Central, Western, and West Central Railway.
- The project so far has been rolled out in over 200 trains in Indian Railways.
- It is also expected that the utility will help to enhance confirmed seat availability and increase the occupancy of a train by 5 percent to 6 percent.
- This is the most effective way to resolve by allocation of accommodation quotas based on the business need of serving the demands for different origin-destination pairs.