World Liver Day is observed on 19 April annually to spread awareness about the causes of liver disease and tips for its prevention so as to take holistic care of the liver. The liver is the second largest and the second most complex organ in the body, after the brain. It performs crucial body functions and is associated with a person’s digestion, immunity, metabolism, and nutrition storage. The liver regulates blood sugar, removes toxic substances from the body, helps blood clot, and controls cholesterol levels.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
Why is the Liver important?
- Fights infections and illness
- Regulates blood sugar
- Removes toxic substances from the body
- Controls cholesterol levels
- Helps blood to clot
- Makes many of the body’s essential proteins
- Releases bile and aids in digestion
- Responsible for manufacturing cholesterol and triglycerides
- Breaks down medications and drugs, including alcohol
- Breaks down insulin and other hormones in the body
Tips To Keep Liver Healthy
- It is healthy to use olive oil.
- It is important to eat garlic, grapefruit, carrot, green leafy vegetables, apples, and walnuts.
- Take lemon, lime juice, and green tea.
- Prefer alternative grains like millet.
- Add cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.
- It will be good to use turmeric in food.