World Standards Day or International Standards Day is observed globally on 14 October every year. The day aims to raise awareness about the importance of standardisation to the global economy among the consumers, regulators and industry.
World Standards Day 2020 theme is “Protecting the planet with standards”.
It is marked to celebrate the contributions of experts and scientists across the world in developing voluntary standards within standards development organisation such as the International Organisation for Standards (ISO), International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
Winners of the World Standards Day 2020 poster competition:
- The winner: Jyoti Bisht from India
- The two runners-up: Avishek Sahoo from India and Mohsen Jafari from the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Organization for Standardization Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- International Organization for StandardizationFounded: 23 February 1947, London, United Kingdom.
- International Organization for Standardization President: Eddy Njoroge.