15th President of India Draupadi Murmu
Daughter of a tribal family coming from a very ordinary house in Odisha, Draupadi Murmu has been elected as the 15th President of India. The 2022 Indian Presidential Election was the 16th presidential election that was held in India on the 18th of July 2022. Murmu becomes India’s first woman tribal president. She also becomes the second woman to hold the post after Pratibha Patil. The tenure of incumbent president Ram Nath Kovind will end on 24 July.
Draupadi Murmu Biography
Important points of the presidential election 2022:
- The counting of votes has started to elect India’s new president. Out of a total of 771 MPs entitled to vote (05 vacant) and a total of 4,025 MLAs entitled to vote (06 vacant and 02 disqualified), over 99 percent cast their votes.
- However, 100% voting by MLAs was reported from Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka, and Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Puducherry, Sikkim, and Tamil Nadu.”
- The counting of votes takes place in room number 63 of the Parliament of India which is also the strongroom for the boxes that arrived from all state capitals and Union Territories having a legislature.
Interesting points about Droupadi Murmu:
- The 64-year-old Droupadi Murmu was born in Odisha’s Mayurbhanj district to a family belonging to the Santhal tribe.
- Santhals, also spelled as Santals, are the third largest scheduled tribe community in India after the Gonds and Bhils. Their population is mostly distributed in Odisha, Jharkhand, and West Bengal.
- Murmu is the second person belonging to a scheduled tribe, to be nominated as a candidate for the post of President of India.
- She served as the ninth Governor of Jharkhand from 2015 to 2021.
- As a member of the BJP, she was elected to the state assembly twice – in 2000 and 2009 – from the Rairangpur seat.
List of Presidents of India From
About the Santhals tribes:
The Santhals are also credited for taking on the force of the East India Company through the Santal Hul (revolution) of 1855-56. The anguished Santhals formed their troops which included farmers and marched against their oppressors. They destroyed the postal communications along with the rail lines and burgled and vandalized storehouses and warehouses. When the British were made aware of the situation, they sent the military to gun down the Santhals.
As per the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Research and Training Institute (SCSTRTI), Bhubaneswar, the word ‘Santhal’ is derived from two words; ‘Santha’ meaning calm and peaceful and ‘ala’ meaning man. The SCSTRTI says that the Santhals led a nomadic life in the past but then settled in the Chhotanagpur plateau. Towards the end of the 18th century, they migrated to the Santhal Parganas of Bihar, and then they came to Odisha.
FAQs related to the President of India
Q1. Who is the 14th President of India?
Ans. Ramnath Kovind was the 14th President of India. He served the country from 25th July 2017 and his term will end on 25th July 2022.
Q2. What is the name of the new President of India?
Ans. Draupadi Murmu has won the presidential elections and will become the 15th President of India. She is the first tribal female President of India and the second female President of India after Shrimati Pratibha Singh Patil.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams