Who is Draupadi Murmu?
Draupadi Murmu is the current President of India, serving as the 15th president. She hails from a modest background in a remote village in Mayurbhanj, Odisha. Before entering politics, she worked as an assistant teacher and a junior assistant in the Odisha state irrigation department. Her political journey began with the BJP in 1997, where she worked as a councilor in Rairangpur. She later became the president of Scheduled Tribe Morcha in the BJP’s Odisha unit.
Murmu achieved several milestones in her political career. She was elected twice to the Odisha state legislative assembly on the BJP ticket and served as a cabinet minister during 2002-2004 in the BJD-BJP coalition government, earning the best legislative member award. Despite facing personal tragedies, including the loss of her husband and two grown-up sons, she remained resilient and steadfast in her public life.
Notably, Draupadi Murmu made history by becoming the first woman governor of Jharkhand, the first tribal governor of a tribal state, and the first Odisha-born woman to hold such a position. In her family, she is accompanied by her daughter, Itishree Murmu, who is a bank employee, and her son-in-law, Ganesh Hembram, who is a rugby player.
Draupadi Murmu: Biography
Draupadi Murmu was born on 28th June 1958. She was born in a Santhali tribe in Uparbeda village of Mayurbhanj in Odisha. Draupadi Murmu’s father and her grandfather were elected as sarpanch under the Panchayati Raj system. She married Shyam Charan Murmu and had two sons and a daughter. However, in 4 years, she lost her husband and both her sons.
- Draupadi Murmu started school teaching before entering politics.
- She works as an assistant professor at the Shri Aurobindo Integral Education and Research Institute in Rairangpur.
- She was appointed as a Junior Assistant at the Irrigation Department of the Government of Orissa.
- In 1997, Draupadi Murmu join the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- She was elected as the councilor of the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat.
- In 2000, she became the chairperson of Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat.
- She served as the National vice president of BJP schedule Tribes Morcha.
- From 6th March 2000 to 6th August 2000, when the BJP and Biju Janata Dal allied, she was the minister of State with independent charge for Commerce and Transportation, and she was also the in-charge for Fisheries and Animal Resource Development from 6th August 2002 to 16th May 2004.
- From 2000 to 2004 she served as the former Odisha minister and MLA from the Rairangpur assembly constituency.
Draupadi Murmu: Personal Life
|Date of Birth
|20 June 1958
|Biranchi Narayan Tudu
|Late Shyam Charan Murmu
|Rama Devi Women’s College, Bhubaneshwar
|Nilkantha Award fro Best MLA in 2007
Draupadi Murmu Awards & Honours:
In 2007, she was awarded the Nilkantha award for the best MLA by Odisha Legislative Assembly.
Draupadi Murmu: Governor of Jharkhand
On 9th May 2015, Draupadi Murmu put the oath as the Governor of Jharkhand and became the first woman governor of Jharkhand. She was also the first female tribal leader from Orissa to be appointed as the governor of an Indian state.
As the governor of Jharkhand Draupadi Murmu, 2017 refused to give assent to a bill approved by the Jharkhand Legislative Assembly seeking amendments to Chota Nagpur Tenancy Act 1908, and Santhal Pargana Tenancy Act 1949. The bill would have granted the rights to tribals to make commercial use of their land while ensuring that the ownership of the land does not change. However, Draupadi Murmu sought an explanation from the Raghuvar Das-led BJP government about the changes it would bring to the well-being of tribals.
Draupadi Murmu: NDA’s Leading Presidential Candidate
The BJP nominated Draupadi Murmu as the National Democratic Alliance’s candidate for President of India for the 2022 election in June 2022. As part of her presidential campaign for 2022, she visited various States to see support for her candidature from BJP lawmakers and other opposition parties. As a part of a campaign, she visited not Eastern states the JMM party of Jharkhand, BJD of Odisha, Shivsena of Maharashtra, BSP of Uttar Pradesh, JDS of Karnataka, and many other prominent opposition parties.
FAQs related to Draupadi Murmu
1. Who is Draupadi Murmu of Jharkhand?
Ans. Draupadi Murmu is the first woman governor of India. She severed as the governor of Jharkhand from 2015-2021.
2. Where is Draupadi Murmu from?
Ans. Draupadi Murmu was born in a tribal family in the village of Mayurbhanj, Odisha.
3. What is the age of Draupadi Murmu?
Ans. Draupadi Murmu was born on 20th June 1958 and she is 64 years old.