Commonwealth Games 2022 Medal Tally of India on 8th Day
On the 8th day of the Commonwealth Games 2022, India has shown tremendous performance with 3 golds, 1 silver, and 2 bronze in Wrestling in several categories. The following players created history on the 8th day of Commonwealth Games 2022.
- Bajrang Punia: Indian wrestler Bajrang Punia bags India’s 7th gold medal in Commonwealth Games 2022. Bajrang Punia defeated Canada’s Lachlan McNeil in men’s 65kg category Wrestling in the finals. Bajrang Punia proved himself as one of the most potential wrestlers of India by winning two consecutive gold medals in Commonwealth Games. Throughout his bout, he did not concede a single point in the journey to the finals at Birmingham. However, Punia conceded two points against Canadian wrestler Lachlan McNeil. Bajrang lead with 4-0 points and in the second half, Bajrang Punia ended the match with 9-2 points winning his second gold at Commonwealth Games. Bajrang Punia completed his medal hat-trick of the Commonwealth Games. He won Gold at Birmingham, another Gold at Gold Coast, and silver at Glasgow.
- Anshu Malik: Anshu Malik bagged a silver medal in Commonwealth Games 2022 in the women’s Wrestling Freestyle 57kg category. In the finals, Anshu Malik was defeated by Nigerian wrestler Adekuoroye by 3-7. She was the first Indian to bring home a silver medal in Wrestling this year.
- Sakshi Malik: Sakshi Malik won the gold medal in women’s 62kg freestyle wrestling. She defeated Canadian wrestler Ana Godinez Gonzales. Her first opponent was Kesley Barnes whom she defeated with 10-0 based on technical superiority. During the previous Commonwealth Games, Sakshi Malik won bronze at Gold Coast. In 2014, she won a silver medal at Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
- Deepak Punia: Deepak Punia won his first gold at Commonwealth Games 2022. He defeated Pakistani wrestler Muhammad Inam, two times Commonwealth Games gold medallist. In Tokyo Olympics, Punia slipped out of his bronze medal in the final seconds of the match.
- Divya Kakran: Divya Kakran is an Indian freestyle wrestler in the 68kg category. Divya won bronze in Commonwealth Games 2022. She defeated Tonga’s Tiger Lily Cocker Lemalie. In the quarter-finals, Divya was humbled by her opponent, Nigeria Oborududu, who defeated her by 0-11. She previously won a bronze in Commonwealth Games 2018 at Gold Coast.
- Mohit Grewal: Mohit Grewal is an Indian freestyle wrestler in the 125kg category. Mohit Grewal bags bronze in men’s 125kg wrestling. He defeated Jamaican wrestler Aaron Johnson by 5-0 in 3 minutes 30 seconds. In the quarter-finals, he won against Alexios Kaoslidis of Cyprus. However, in the semi-finals, he was knocked out by Canadian wrestler Amarveer Dhesi.