Guts Amidst Bloodbath : The Aunshuman Gaekwad Narrative
Anshuman Gaekwad, a former Indian Test cricketer, released his semi-autobiographical book titled “Guts Amidst Bloodbath” at the Cricket Club of India (CCI). The occasion was graced by six former India cricket captains, namely Sachin Tendulkar, Gundapa Vishwanath, Sunil Gavaskar, Dilip Vengsarkar, Ravi Shastri, and Kapil Dev. These legendary cricketers shared anecdotes and praised Gaekwad for his contributions to the sport.
In addition to the former captains, several other prominent figures from the cricketing world were present. BCCI President Roger Binny, Yajurvindra Singh, Karsan Ghavri, Zaheer Khan, Abey Kuruvilla, and Nayan Mongia were among the attendees, showcasing their support for Gaekwad and the book.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
The Essence of the book:
- Guts Amidst Bloodbath is the story of Aunshuman Gaekwad as told by him with many fascinating insights by his teammates, opponents, administrators, selectors, umpires, friends and family members.
- His is a name associated with Indian Cricket for more than 50 years in some form or the other. He has been a solid opening batsman, an astute administrator, an able selector, a successful coach, an analytical media person and above all a helping human being. But for a player who began his First-Class career as an off-spinner and lower order batsman, to become a Test opener for India is nothing short of remarkable. To play the fast bowlers of the 1970s and 1980s without helmets and other protective gears was an achievement in itself.
- Post his retirement, he has served Indian cricket in various capacities, the most notable one being his role as the coach of the team from 1997 to 1999. As a coach, he was known for his discipline, honesty and integrity.
- It is a testimony to his character, that he was re-called to coach the Indian team at a time of turmoil post the match-fixing saga. Even today, he is taking up the cause of Indian cricketers as the President of the Indian Cricketers Association (ICA).
- In summary, this tale is a celebration of the man and his contribution to Indian cricket. It charts the journey of a boy from Baroda who went on to become one of the most respected figures in world cricket.
You may also read this:
Amitav Ghosh’s new non-fiction book ‘Smoke and Ashes’ to release in July 2023
Find More Books and Authors Here