The Ministry of Railways has developed a new scheme to modernize over 1000 small stations over the coming year. The stations will be equipped with facilities inspired by the mega-upgradation of marquee stations. This scheme will be a part of the Ministry of Railways Station Redevelopment Drive and Amrit Bharat Station Scheme.
Ministry of Railways to renovate 1,000 small stations – Key Points
- The stations will include provisions for rooftop plazas, longer platforms, ballastless tracks, and 5G connectivity.
- The scheme will subsume all previous redevelopment projects where work is yet to begin.
- The scheme aims to prepare Master Plans of the Railway Stations and implementation of the Master Plan in phases to enhance the facility.
- The plans and consequences will be approved based on factors such as footfall and inputs from stakeholders.
- Zonal Railways have been given the responsibility of selecting stations that will be approved by a committee of senior railway officials.
- The model envisages low-cost redevelopment of stations which can be executed timely.
- The scheme aims to relocate old buildings in a cost-efficient manner so that space is released for higher priority passengers-related activities and future development may be carried out.
- These stations are aimed to be redeveloped in an expedited manner.