Ayushman Bharat Diwas
Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated on 30 April every year to commemorate the launch of the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) by the Government of India. This day marks the birth anniversary of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar, who was a champion of social justice and worked towards the upliftment of the underprivileged sections of society.
Ayushman Bharat Diwas: Key Points
- AB-PMJAY is the world’s largest government-funded health insurance scheme, which provides access to free medical treatment to more than 50 crore people from low-income families.
- The scheme provides a cover of up to Rs 5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization across public and private empanelled hospitals in India.
Ayushman Bharat Diwas: Agenda
The agenda of the day is to create awareness about the scheme and its benefits and to promote the importance of accessible and affordable healthcare for all.
Ayushman Bharat Diwas: Significance
- Ayushman Bharat scheme, also called Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) was launched in September 2018.
- The scheme aims to provide health insurance coverage to more than 10.74 crore families living below the poverty line.
- The Ayushman Bharat scheme provides health insurance cover up to Rs. 5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary healthcare services.
- The scheme has been successful in providing financial protection to vulnerable families and improving access to quality healthcare services.
- The Ayushman Bharat Diwas celebrates this innovative initiative, which has helped millions of Indians access affordable healthcare services.
- By generating awareness about the scheme, the Ayushman Bharat Diwas serves as a reminder to people of the availability of healthcare services within their reach.
On this day, various events are organized across the country to raise awareness about the benefits of the scheme and to encourage people to avail of the healthcare services available under AB-PMJAY. The day also provides an opportunity to recognize the contributions of healthcare workers who have been working tirelessly to provide medical services during the Covid-19 pandemic.