Bihar Chief Minister, Nitish Kumar has inaugurated India’s longest rubber dam ‘Gayaji Dam’ on the Falgu River in Gaya. The dam has been built at an estimated cost of Rs 324 crore. Experts from IIT (Roorkee) were involved with the project. There will be enough water in the dam round the year for the convenience of pilgrims. With its construction, now at least two feet of water will be available in the Falgu River near Vishnupad Ghat throughout the year for the devotees who come here to do Pind Daan.
Bank Maha Pack includes Live Batches, Test Series, Video Lectures & eBooks
About the dam:
- The rubber dam on the Falgu River, which is a vast stretch of sand dunes, it will draw more pilgrims and change the landscape. The dam, aimed at providing uninterrupted water supply to Vishnupad Temple in Gaya throughout the year.
- Designed by experts from IIT Roorkee, the dam is 411 meters long, 95.5 meters wide and 3 meters high. Apart from the rubber dam, the banks along the Falgu River have also been developed and a steel bridge has been built for pilgrims to visit Sita Kund.
- The Falgu river has water only in the monsoon season and remains dry for the remaining period. The dam will ensure water storage in the river throughout the year, helping the pilgrims who visit the place for Pind Daan (ritual to offer homage to departed souls).
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Bihar Capital: Patna;
- Bihar Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar;
- Bihar Governor: Phagu Chauhan.