The Central government has recently issued the Animal Birth Control Rules, 2023, which are designed to comply with the guidelines set by the Supreme Court in a writ petition involving the Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) and the People for Elimination of Stray Troubles. The Supreme Court had issued several orders emphasizing that the relocation of dogs was not permissible.
Key Points To Note About Animal Birth Control Rules, 2023:
- The rules mandate the implementation of Animal Birth Control programmes for stray dogs by local bodies, municipalities, municipal corporations, and panchayats.
- Effective implementation of the rules can help reduce the stray dog population and address animal welfare issues.
- Municipal corporations must jointly implement the Animal Birth Control and Anti Rabies Programmes.
- The rules provide guidelines on how to deal with human and stray dog conflicts without relocating dogs.
- The Animal Birth Control programme must be carried out by AWBI-recognized organizations specifically recognized for the said programme.
- A list of such organizations will be available on the AWBI website and updated regularly.
- The Central Government has sent letters to all State Chief Secretaries and Principal Secretaries of Animal Husbandry and Urban Development Departments.
You may also read this: