47th Civil Accounts Day
The Civil Accounts Day was celebrated on 1st March to mark the 47th foundation day of Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS). The Indian Civil Accounts Service was constituted in 1976, after the the maintenance of Accounts of the Union government was separated from that of Audit. Consequently, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India was divested with this responsibility.
Two Ordinances, the Comptroller and Auditor General’s (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Amendment Ordinance, 1976 and Departmentalisation of Union Accounts (Transfer of Personnel) Ordinance, 1976 were promulgated by the President on 1st of March 1976 to initiate the process of separation of accounts from audit and paving the way for departmentalised accounts. Consequently, every year on 1st of March, organization celebrates its foundation day.
The Office of the Controller General of Accounts is the principal accounting advisor to the Government of India and oversees the country’s payment and accounting system. The organization ensures financial accountability through accounts and helps the executive in decision making. The mission of the organization is to operate an effective, reliable and accountable system for budgeting, payment, accounting and pension disbursement. It aims to provide a world-class and robust government-wide integrated financial information system and decision support system (DSS) across ministries.
About the Indian Civil Accounts Service:
- Initially, the ICAS was carved out from the Indian Audit & Accounts Service (IA & AS), through the promulgation of an Ordinance amending the C & AG’s (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Amendment Act, 1976.
- Later, the Departmentalisation of Union Accounts (Transfer of Personnel) Act, 1976 was enacted and came into force on 01 March 1976, following which the ICAS celebrates March 1 every year as the “Civil Accounts Day”.
- ICAS helps in the delivery of financial management services for the Government of India, such as payment services, supports the tax collection system, performs government-wide accounting, financial reporting functions, preparation of budget estimates and carries out Internal Audit in civil ministries of the Union Government.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India: Girish Chandra Murmu.
You may also read this:
- Zero Discrimination Day 2023 observed on 1st March
- World Civil Defence Day 2023 celebrated on 01st March