Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan has launched the mobile app “Mausam” for weather forecasts. This app is launched on the occasion of the 14th foundation day of Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES). This app is designed and developed by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
About “Mausam App”:
- The mobile-based application will provide weather forecasts, nowcast and warning for various cities and locations.
- The app will provide information on current weather with temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction for around 200 cities.
- The information on the app will be updated 8 times a day.
- It will also provide the weather forecast for the next 7 days and the information of the past 24 hours for around 450 cities in India.
- The application provides colour coded alerts – red, yellow and orange – for all the district, two times a day for 5 days to warn the people prior to extreme weather.
Harsh Vardhan also launched the Knowledge Resource Centre Network (KRCNet), which will act as a one-point stop for research, publications and e-resources of all the institutions that function under the MoES.