The first batch of five Rafale fighter jets was formally inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) on 10 September 2020 at the Air Force Station in Ambala. They have been inducted in the Indian Air Force’s 17 Squadron ‘Golden Arrows’ based in Ambala. The first five Rafale aircraft had arrived from France on 27 July 2020.
About Rafale jets:
- The multi-role Rafale jets have been built by French aerospace major Dassault Aviation.
- India had signed an inter-governmental agreement with France in 2016 to procure 36 of the aircraft at a cost of Rs 59,000 crore.
- The delivery of all 36 aircraft is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2021. Out of 36 Rafale jets, 30 will be fighter jets and six will be trainers.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief of the Air Staff: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
- Indian Airforce founded: 8 October 1932.
- Indian Airforce Headquarters: New Delhi.